[Ads-l] Fascism in America

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 31 19:48:03 UTC 2024

OED lacks the idiom, "wrap oneself in the flag."

This may not be the earliest. I only looked for two minutes. Literal here:

1863 _Missouri Republican_ (St. Louis) (Apr. 15) 2: The man who wrapped
himself in the flag I also understand to be engaged in the [liquor] traffic.

The saying alludes to such antics, formerly characteristic of extremist
politicians.

JL