[Ads-l] "queer phiz," collocation before quiz

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 10 04:34:59 UTC 2024

You can find some earlier blends/portmanteaus in this post:

https://wordinquiry.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/my-portmanteau-is-packed-im-ready-to-go/

Examples include:
"niddicock" 'fool' (1587), possibly "nidiot" + "nodcock"
"ninneversity" 'derogatory name for a university' (1592), "ninny" +
"university"

Both of those show up in an advanced OED search for "blend" in the
etymology, sorted by oldest date first.

https://www.oed.com/search/advanced/Entries?textTermText0=blend&textTermOpt0=Etymology&dateOfUseFirstUse=false&page=2&sortOption=DateOldFirst