[Ads-l] Antedating of "Mr. Fixit"

Steven Losie stevenlosie at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 15 00:26:00 UTC 2024

Mr. Fixit (OED3, 1924)

[begin quote]
He has hung out his sign "Fix it," and nobody ever thinks of calling him
anything else but Mr. Fix It.
[end quote]
Source: The Daily Gazette (Lawrence, Kansas), 1 August 1903, p.3, col.2 (
newspapers.com)
https://www.newspapers.com/image/190155195/?terms=%22mr.%20fix-it%22

[begin quote]
[headline] "Mr. Fixit."
When the breezy American lad turns upon the Irish alderman in "The Man of
the Hour" and sarcastically remarks, "Now we'll hear from Mr. Fixit," there
is always a roar of laughter.

[..]

[...]but "Mr. Fixit," as applied to the person who means well and makes a
mess of it had a peculiar fitness that appeals to the young American sense
of humor.
[end quote]
Source: The Plattsburgh (NY) Sentinel, 22 May 1908, p.2, col.3 (NYS
Historical Newspapers)
https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=tps19080522-01.1.2&srpos=1&e=------190-en-20--1--txt-txIN-%22mr.+fixit%22---------

[begin quote]
Well, I have been called little Mr. Fix-it once or twice, but I admit I
can't fix that.
[end quote]
Source: Grocery World and General Merchant (Philadelphia), Vol.51, No.24,
12 June 1911, p.18, col.2 (Google Books)
Article title: The Stroller's Column
https://books.google.com/books?id=k0fGcWMGzM0C&pg=RA20-PA22&dq=%22mr.+fix-it%22