[Ads-l] "B movie" and related terms

Wed May 22 03:06:54 UTC 2024

Excellent article, Ben.
While searching for "bromance" I serendipitously encountered instances
of "B-Romance" that fit into the collection of expressions that Ben
was exploring.

For example, the 1941 citation below is titled "'Class B' Romance". It
included the statement "just a Hollywood picture--Class B". This
citation appeared many years after Ben's earliest citations.

Further below is a wildly creative 1895 example of a "Class B
Romance", but the meaning is quite different.

Date: October 10, 1941
Newspaper: The Wichita Beacon
Newspaper Location:
Article: 'Class B' Romance
Quote Page 1, Column 7
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/718953058/

[Begin excerpt]
The New York cafe society glamor girl declared that her four-day
southern honeymoon was "just a Hollywood picture--Class B" In
addition, she said she discovered that Webb is "tattooed from head to
foot."
[End excerpt]

Below is an example of a "Class B Romance" that looks like it was
generated by a challenging AI prompt (before electronic computers
existed):