[Ads-l] Antedating of "Big Bang Theory"

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Tue May 28 10:28:01 UTC 2024

Correction: I copied the wrong citation into the email (Hoyle used the term again a year later). The correct one is:

Hoyle, Fred. “Continuous Creation.” The Listener, 7 April 1949, 568. Gale Primary Sources: The Listener.

-----Original Message-----
From: "dave at wilton.net" <dave at WILTON.NET>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2024 6:24am
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Antedating of "Big Bang Theory"

I have it from March 1949. A BBC radio broadcast, astronomer Fred Hoyle speaking, with a transcript published a few days later:

Hoyle, Fred. “Man’s Place in the Expanding Universe.” The Listener, 9 March 1950, 420–21. Gale Primary Sources: The Listener.

"We now come to the question of applying the observational tests to earlier theories. These theories were based on the hypothesis that all the matter in the universe was created in one big bang at a particular time in the remote past."

[ https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/big-bang ]( https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/big-bang )