[Ads-l] "best-known" avoidance

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 30 00:57:51 UTC 2024

I did that yesterday! It was in a Facebook comment. On a re-read, it glared
out at me, so I edited the post to change "most well" to "best".

I think it happens from reflexively treating adjectival "well-dressed",
"well-known", etc. as unitary expressions, to then modify as units by
adding other modifiers like "most", "less", "somewhat", etc., rather than
changing the already-embedded "well[-]" (or "poorly" or "badly" or
whatever) modifier.