[Ads-l] Antedating of "Esperanto"

Rich Lowenthal 000018596069864c-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 13 14:29:09 UTC 2024

Apologies for the pedantry, but "Dr. Esperanto" was Zamenhof's pseudonym
rather than his name; he did not name the language himself, but his
followers borrowed the name from his pseudonym.

It was a time of multiple "universal languages," with Volapük pre-dating
Zamenhof's invention (there are also early references to Esperanto as a
"Volapük.") That probably was a factor in any delay in Esperanto
citations.

And for any who don't know, George Soros was raised speaking Esperanto.