[Ads-l] Oxford comma

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 13 19:28:48 UTC 2024

It's important that it's also called the Harvard comma. It's not really a
matter of national dialect, but rather of academic register. More properly
called the serial comma, it's used more in writing that focuses on
precision (journals, encyclopedias) than material driven by expediency and
concision (journalism, blogging).

The habit I cultivate is to use serial commas when they aid clarity, drop
them when they don't, default to using them if in doubt, and be consistent
with them in the same piece of writing.

The two latter factors mean I use more of them than average. It's possible
this annoys a handful of comma haters – I encountered a self-declared one
on Facebook today – but no one has trouble parsing my material.