[Ads-l] Quote Origin: I Had Exactly Four Seconds To Hot Up the Disintegrator, and Google Had Told Me It Wasn't Enough

Tue Sep 17 03:03:32 UTC 2024

Thanks for your feedback and the helpful citation, John. I agree that
it would be a good idea to include it in an article that was focused
on the origin of the name "Google". Finding the earliest evidence is
important. It is also valuable to gather testimony from the people
involved.

The stories I came across differed in details. For example, a 2004
version of the tale stated that Sean Anderson misspelled the word
"googol" as "google":

https://graphics.stanford.edu/~dk/google_name_origin.html

[Begin excerpt]
Sean was seated at his computer terminal, so he executed a search of
the Internet domain name registry database to see if the newly
suggested name was still available for registration and use. Sean is
not an infallible speller, and he made the mistake of searching for
the name spelled as "google.com," which he found to be available.
Larry liked the name, and within hours he took the step of registering
the name "google.com" for himself and Sergey (the domain name
registration record dates from September 15, 1997).
[End excerpt]

In the end, I went with the citation from "In the Plex" because
journalist Steven Levy spoke extensively with Sergey Brin, Larry Page,
and many Googlers. Hence, the version Levy presented was reasonable
for an article focused on a curious Raymond Chandler quotation.

Garson