[Ads-l] Roe vee Wade

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 20 20:08:28 UTC 2024

> In Britain and Ireland one would say and write Roe v. Wade.

Same in the US.  The spelling "v." is legal usage; "vs." is a sports and
other general usage. However, there's no *requirement* to pronounce "v." as
"vee" rather than "versus". It's just common with regard to the legal
usage. I'm not a lawyer but I worked daily with civil-liberties attorneys
for a decade, and they always said it "vee" in this context, while they
might have spoken of "Rahman versus Lewis" for the Rahamn vs. Lewis 2001
world heavyweight boxing championship.

The full case name is *Roe et al. v. Wade, District Attorney of Dallas
County*.
https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/ll/usrep/usrep410/usrep410113/usrep410113.pdf