[Ads-l] AI in language
Ben Zimmer
00001aae0710f4b7-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sat Oct 3 15:56:10 UTC 2026
For those who don't get the "cat fart" reference, I assume Victor is
playing off the joke that "ChatGPT," when said in French, sounds like
"chat, j'ai pété," which translates to "cat, I farted."
And just to set the record straight on "Cupertinos," (i.e.,
spellechecker-aided miscorrections)... I started posting about the
"Cupertino effect" on Language Log back in Mar. '06, and Mark Liberman
began referring to such artifacts as "Cupertinos" in Jan. '08. Arnold
followed suit on both LL and his own blog. See links in this post:
https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4575
--bgz
On Sat, Oct 3, 2026 at 11:12 AM victor steinbok <
000025123e35b025-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:
> Not an entirely serious post, I suppose. But I propose identifying telltale
> signs of AI writing, when we can identify them, as "catfarts". (Inspired by
> Arnold's "cupertinos")
>
> YMMV
>
> VS-)
>
------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
More information about the Ads-l
mailing list