Larry Urdang

Grant Barrett gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
Mon Aug 25 21:13:42 UTC 2008

Dear ADS colleagues,

I received word this morning that lexicographer Larry Urdang has died
after a long illness.

Longtime American Dialect Society members know that he had a fruitful
and respectable career behind him. He also had a generosity of spirit
that led him to provide such things as the Laurence Urdang-Dictionary
Society of North American Award, which I was pleased to receive for my
dictionary web site three years ago. It made the site and the book
derived from it possible, for which I am grateful.

I'm not in a position to properly detail his biography, but I will
gladly collect your personal recollections and remarks and compile
them for posting to this list.

Best wishes,

Grant Barrett
Vice President of Communications and Technology
American Dialect Society
http://www.americandialect.org
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org