[ADS-M] Allan Metcalf, 1940-2022

Grant Barrett grantbarrett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:41:06 UTC 2022

It is with great sadness that we mark the passing of our friend and
colleague Allan Metcalf. Allan was the executive secretary of the American
Dialect Society for 37 years until retiring in 2018. He was also the author
of eight popular books on language, including *OK: The Improbable Story of
America’s Greatest Word* and *From Skedaddle to Selfie: Words of the
Generations*.

Among his lasting impacts, besides shepherding this society and its members
through the decades and his founding of the society’s words-of-the-year
event, was setting an example of openness in welcoming newcomers to
linguistics and sociolinguistics, whether they be students, amateurs,
schoolteachers, or fellow scholars.

His kindness and gentle insistence could keep rooms full of joke- and
tangent-prone linguists on track, and as a public face of the field of
linguistics, he was professional, well-spoken, and expert.

For more about his work, books, and career, see his personal website.
http://www.allanmetcalf.net/

We will include an obituary and any memorial service information when we
have them at the link below.

https://www.americandialect.org/allan-metcalf-1940-2022

Grant Barrett
American Dialect Society
Vice President of Communications and Technology
http://www.americandialect.org
grantbarrett at gmail.com