pointing, not with finger

Randolph Valentine algonquianpapers at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 6 16:48:14 UTC 2013

Hi, Amy. I'm sure you've read much more than I on this, but I just happened
to be reading John Haviland's article on Gesture in the Blackwell Companion
to Linguistic Anthropology this morning, in which he writes:

"Another pervasive ideology of gesture is inherent in the injunction ³It's
not polite to point.² Perhaps because pointing is indiscreet-perceivable,
even by the pointee, whether or not the accompanying speech can be heard-or
represents untoward attention, poor upbringing, or insufficient
self-control, it falls into the clutches of cultural arbiters of value and
good taste. (The Cuna ³pointed-lip-gesture² has as one of its advantages,
according to Sherzer (1972), that it is less obvious a way to point than
using the hands.)

Moreover, if Roman orators sought to become more persuasive by
choreographing their gestures, it is equally possible that the
hyper-expressivity associated with gesture can be a motive for criticism and
scorn: gesticulators are over-exuberant, too expressive, probably vulgar.
Kendon uses the phrase ³communication ecology²: a relation between
³communicational style-and the role of gesture within this-² and ³the
ecology of everyday life Œin public¹³ (Kendon 1997: 117). He notes that
³gesturing, like speech, is influenced by cultural values and historical
tradition, and its usage is adjusted according to the setting, social
circumstance, and micro-organization of any given occasion of interaction²
(Kendon 1997: 117). Indeed, Kendon hints at an ³ecological² account for the
celebrated (or, conversely, notorious) prominence of Neapolitan gestures
(Kendon 1995)."

My sense of pointing with the lips in Ojibwe (which seems generally the
greatly preferred gesture) is that it is viewed as a less assertive and more
discreet act, i.e., as a form of politeness that recognizes the integrity of
the "pointee." The writings of Hallowell address lots of cultural
perspectives that might create such a gestural economy of deference. But I
admit total ignorance on this and everything having to do with these things.

Rand