testing proficiency

Conor Quinn conor.mcdonoughquinn at MAINE.EDU
Wed Nov 13 16:36:28 UTC 2013

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

I second Michael's approach---except in certain obvious cases, it's the
oral that matters, and functional ability rather than perfection in
linguistic form.  There is a  nice description of the OPI overall here:

http://www.actfl.org/professional-development/certified-proficiency-testing-program/testing-proficiency

and of the standards here:

http://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/ACTFLProficiencyGuidelines2012-Speaking.pdf

The really challenging question is this: when we're dealing with
marginalized languages in a revitalization scenario, learners (and often
native speakers as well, especially younger-generation ones) are faced with
radically reduced opportunities to learn all the relevant aspects that the
ACTFL guidelines speak to.

For non-marginalized languages, classroom learning is heavily reinforced by
a rich range of real-world interactions (and much constant passive
absorption).  Whereas learners in a revitalization scenario, on top of much
more limited classroom resources, usually have to actively seek out any and
all scraps of interaction in the language, and usually in much smaller set
of domains.  And for Algonquian languages, also a lexicogrammatical system
that does not offer a ton of familiar footholds for the English- or
French-based learner.

So really useful, meaningful assessment of learner progress might require a
differently targeted, more fine-grained approach.  I'm a bit at a loss for
specifics on that, which is why I'm equally curious to see what Michael and
company have worked out.  My sense is that many Master-Apprentice programs
have also grappled with assessment and found it to be one of the most
difficult things to handle well: but there lies a direction to go asking.

This seems like a topic where wide collaboration could make a real and
lasting difference, since we're all struggling with the same basic
challenges.  Thank you, Monica, for opening up this thread, and I hope as
many people as possible weigh in.  Because this could really help a lot of
us.

Slán,
bhur gcara