PNCV *koro / *qoro root, "to fence"

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Mon Apr 26 00:08:53 UTC 1999

Dear Alexander,

I have a card-file of several hundred unpublished Proto-Oceanic
reconstructions, and among them is POC *koro, which evidently referred to
a fortified village:

ADMIRALTIES

Nali /kon/, Loniu /ko/, Bipi /kox/, Titan /kol/, Leipon /kor/, Sori /oh/
`village'

CENTRAL PACIFIC

Fijian /koro/ `an eminence; a village', Tongan /kolo/ `village, town;
fortress' (also `temporary fence of native cloth around an open grave'),
Niue /kolo/ `fort, tower, lookout point', Samoan /qolo/ `fort, shelter'
(Rotuman /koro/ `fortified place, fortress' is a Polynesian loan; cf.
Biggs 1965).

As for the semantic profile of this cognate set, cp. English /town/,
German /Zaun/ `fence', Dutch /tuin/ `garden', Irish /dun/ `fortified
place', where the English form preserves the sense of a settled place,
German preserves the sense of an enclosing structure, and Dutch preserves
the sense of an enclosed collection of cultivated plants rather than
human dwellings.  The original sense clearly was `town', and in the Middle
Ages and even earlier this meant a collection of domiciles surrounded by a
protective wall.  In several publications I have referred to this type of
semantic development as `semantic fragmentation': a complex meaning breaks
into its component parts, some of which are preserved (and perhaps
generalized) in one language, others of which are preserved (and perhaps
generalized) in other languages.

I hope this helps a little.

Bob Blust