Thanks re: word for "dog" etc.

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Thu Feb 3 21:21:01 UTC 2000

Dick,

Sorry, I've been a bit late to respond.  What you overlooked is that I
published the evidence for *kuyuk `sound used to call puppies' in 1980
(Oceanic Linguistics 19:100, item 244).  Since *asu clearly meant `dog' in
PMP, *kuyuk presumably meant something else.  The evidence for the gloss I
have given comes from an exact agreement in the meaning of the form
/kuyuk/ in Dairi-Pakpak Batak and Sasak.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Bob