Chinese loans in Indonesian

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Feb 15 16:35:19 UTC 2000

> Does anybody know of any research -- books, lists, etc. on Chinese loan
> words in Indonesian. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan,

Russel Jones at the School of Oriental and African Studies (Univ. of
London) has been doing a great deal of work on Indonesian etymology
for several decades, also with regard to loans from Chinese. He also
compiled a 1995 "Chinese Loan-Words in Indonesia (a provisional
list)" which I myself have not seen yet. I don't know where it was
published, perhaps in the NUSA series of Uni. Atmajaya (recent
editions of the series are missing in my collection).

He's in any case the person you want to contact on this.

Salam,   Waruno