Austronesian partitives

Yura Lander land_yu at pisem.net
Tue Apr 17 18:19:43 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues,

Working on partitive constructions in Austronesian
languages, I have found that most (although,
fortunately, not all) grammars simply omit the
description of partitives. Can anyone help me with
data and references?

For the sake of simplicity, I have limited myself to
OVERT partitives with numerals (e.g., ²three of these
people⌡), since a number of quantifiers presuppose
partitivity and hence need no special construction.

I am particularly interested in:
1) similarities between partitives and possessives
and/or locatives (in the last case an important
question is whether these locatives MUST be placed in
one NP with the numeral),
2) the expression of plural in the embedded NP,
3) the referentiality of the whole partitive NP.

Thank you, and
Best wishes.

Yura

Yura Lander