P.S. to "Tagalog"

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 25 11:34:30 UTC 2001

"I came to perceive that as the Filipino people became more secure in their
identity as a nation after about 35 years of independence, the determination
to reject foreign words that prevailed in the 1930s and 40s began to give
way to receptiveness of English words and expressions and retention of fully
and partially acculturated Spanish loanwords.  Their sense of national
identity no longer had to be deeply rooted in native purity of language."
Paz B. NAYLOR

Your observation, Paz, is extremely important.

Incidentally wasn't there the slogan "isáng wikà, isáng diwà" [one language,
one mind] during the Marcos era? I'm not sure, but I don't think I made it
up.

I also noticed that it is Tagalog/Pilipino/Filipino that prevails among the
numerous Filipino immigrants all over the world,  as well as in the
international _Mabuhay chat_ on the www.philippine.org site. [Of course, as
in English and French chatrooms, the level is very low.]

Best

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.