Re: [An-lang] AN corpora: Hawaiian and Mâori

Byron W. Bender bender at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 8 18:05:14 UTC 2004

On seeing Ross Clark's query, I thought to refer it to Robert Stauffer, who
works behind the scenes in the production of the new Hawaiian language
journal Ka Ho'oilina.
  Here is the information he has provided:

"The Maori Language Newspapers Site
http://www.sadl.uleth.ca/nz/cgi-bin/niupepalibrary?e=p-0niupepa--00-0-0-010-
--4----text---0-1l--1-mi-50---20-about---00001-001-0utfZz-8-0&a=p&p=about&l=
en

"It can also be linked from
http://nzdl.org

"It is a free complete collection of the 17,000 pages of Maori newspapers.
Although the text is available a page at a time, I suppose some computer
program could extract all of it. Or the manager of the project and a very
decent person, Te Taka Keegan, could be contacted to help
tetaka at waikato.ac.nz

"The Ulukau digital library
http://ulukau.org
has the largest collection of Hawaiian materials that I know of. Much of its
materials are in contemporary orthography, but some in source orthographies
exist. Quite a bit of additional material is in the process of being added:
the text of the Bible (source orthography), more contemporary books, several
tens-of-millions of words in a law collection, a land-title collection, and
a book collection.

"If someone is interested in working on a word-frequency project with
Hawaiian, I would suppose we might be able to assist."

Added in a later message:
"p.s. news of Ulukau: it has grown to some 13 books, including an MA thesis
that has audio links to some Hawaiian music. The main website, Ulukau, now
has a little-sister site, Hawai'i Digital Library, which is available with a
link in the top-right corner of any HDL page (or directly as
http://hawaiidigitallibrary.org

"That holds 5 other books. More are planned, naturally."

Bob can be reached at "Robert Stauffer [RStauffer at alulike.org]" or at home
at <rltours at gte.net>.

Byron W. Bender