[An-lang] AN corpora

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 29 09:04:32 UTC 2004

Someone asked me whether there are word frequency statistics available for
Samoan, such as exist for English and other big languages. I think probably
not, and further it occurred to me that such statistics depend on a corpus
of the language in question -- nowadays assumed to be computer-searchable.
Corpus linguistics seems to be pretty trendy in English right now. But I
wonder whether there are comparable bodies of text for any Austronesian
languages? At one time the Maori Studies people here had at least the
beginnings of one, and I believe the Maori Newspapers project aims
eventually to have a searchable online corpus. Any other news?

Ross Clark