[An-lang] Tuvalu

Ross Clark (ARTS DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 15 00:04:20 UTC 2005

Danny,

You don't say if your friend is a linguist, or what they want the
material for. However...
There's a large (and very expensive) reference grammar by Niko Besnier
(Routledge, 2000).
A Tuvaluan-English dictionary by Geoffrey W.Jackson is also probably
still available. (Published Suva, 2001, address Box 23, Suva, Fiji.)
Other material would include various papers by Besnier (mainly
ethno-linguistic in content), who also prepared a dictionary and course
materials for the Peace Corps (1981), a dictionary by Jay Noricks
(1982)which is apparently still available photocopied from HRAF
(http://www.yale.edu/hraf/publications_body_completepublist.htm); Peter
Ranby's Nanumea Lexicon (Pacific Linguistics, 1980) -- this must be some
kind of record for dictionaries per capita. Oh yes, Geoff & Jenny
Jackson have also published "An Introduction to Tuvaluan" (Oceania
Printers, Suva, 1999)-- a 60-page intro for non-linguists; and in the
same vein we should not forget Donald Gilbert Kennedy's "Te Ngangana a
te Tuvalu" (Sydney, 1945), a brave first attempt at an elementary
description.

Ross Clark

mailto:dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
http://nihongo.human.metro-u.ac.jp/long/index.html