Thanks Re: Onen tonsa kerisa ... (the end of the story)

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 1 19:00:11 UTC 2010

My friend Tim reports:

"We've gotten confirmation from an Iroquoianist that it's
Mohawk.  Many thanks to you and your colleagues for pointing us in
the right direction."

Hats off to Erik Zobel and Steve Trussel who identified the text as
Iroquoian, and kudus to Ann Kumar who took a "long shot" and actually
pinpointed Mohawk!

(P.S.  Some people had written to me off the list.)

Hi,

I have a friend who teaches linguistics at Dartmouth University.  He
has been asked to help identify the language of a 1911
document.  Does the excerpt below look familiar to anyone out there?

If you have a "hit" or a suggestion, I'd be happy to pass it
on.  This fits in the "Oh, so you're a linguist. Can you ... ?"
category of request, but maybe we can do our profession proud for the
Norwich Historical Society.  :-)

Thanks much,  David