Arabic-L:PEDA:EA Course Responses

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Aug 17 19:39:48 UTC 1999

1) Subject: EA Course Response
2) Subject: EA Course Response
3) Subject: EA Course Response

Date: 17 Aug 1999
From: AHMED KHORSHID <KHORSHID at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: EA Course Response

Dear Nancy,

By far the best book I've ever seen, and used, for teaching introductory
CA is "ahlan wa sahlan" by Wadie Boutros, dar en-nashr Hatier.
Unfortunately, the explanation and vocabulary are given in French. Not
surprisingly, I couldn't use it at the American University in Cairo.
However, I do use it for private tutoring. In this case, I supply the
English translation myself. The dialogs are in both Arabic script and
Latin script, but the exercises are in Latin only. I've also found a
solution to this problem that I'm willing to share with you if you are
interested. The advantages of this book are:

1. good order of presenting grammar.
2. close relationship between grammatical points and dialogs.
3. good choice of words.
4. it's accompanied by three good-quality audio tapes.

Your second choice may be "anistuuna" by Nahid Awni, (I think) AUC press.
It's in English, but doesn't compare to the first.

Hope this helps.

Ahmad Khorshid
Arabic Language Instructor
The American University in Cairo