Arabic-L:LIT:Bibliography of Translations response

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:56:27 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Bibliography of Translations response

Date: 13 Aug 2003
From: Petra Duenges <duenges at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>
Subject:Bibliography of Translations response

dear munir,

please excuse the late reply.

you should definitely have a look at the  index translationum,
compiled by the UNESCO, at
http://www.unesco.org/culture/xtrans/

"The INDEX TRANSLATIONUM data
base contains cumulative bibliographical information on books
translated and published in about a hundred of UNESCO's Member States
since 1979 and totalling some 1,300,000 notices in all disciplines:
literature, social and human sciences, natural and exact sciences,
art, history and so forth."

This source is not bad for Arabic, but far from complete (not all
publishing houses are there, and if one is there  not necessarily all
its books are there).

In addition I'd like to point out to you a few publishing
houses and shops which have books that are translated from Arabic to
German or English.

1)online shops

a)der arabische almanach,
see http://www.der-arabische-almanach.de/

they sell books from different publishing houses, mostly books that
are no longer available at the publishing house: modern or classical
literature, politics etc., mostly in German

b)ALAM AL KUTUB, see:
http://www.alam-alkutub.ch/

several publishing houses, has a list of bilingual books

2)publishing houses

translated into German:
(search for books from these publishing houses in
http://www.buchhandel.de)

a)Edition Orient,
Muskauer Str. 4, 10997 Berlin, Germany.
eMail: edition_orient at web.de.

specialized on the orient, translations and several bilingual
Arabic-German books,

find their books at http://www.alam-alkutub.ch/

b)Donata Kinzelbach Verlag
Mainz, Germany

specialized on the maghreb

c)Lenos,
see http://www.lenos.ch

d)Unionsverlag
http://www.unionsverlag.com/info/

e)Verlag Hans Schiler
http://www.verlag-hans-schiler.de/

translated into English:
a)Interlink
http://www.interlinkbooks.com/Bindex.html

There is a German webpage by Leila Chamma from the Goethe Institute in
Kairo
about the translation of Arabic children's litertature into German:
http://www.goethe.de/na/kai/workshop/leila.htm

Perhaps this helps a little.

I am very much interested in your list of translations - could you
please
send a summary to the list?

It seems to me that there are not so many translations from Arabic
into German as one would expect.

I have myself translated two modern fairy tales from the Arabic
The Authors are Fu'ad Qa'ud and Fauzija Rashid. These have
appeared under the title "Die Stadt, wo man sagt: "Das ist
wunderschoen!" in a bilingual version
(German-Arabic) illustrated by Fu'ad a-Futaih and Ihab Shakir in the
publishing house
Edition Orient. These stories will be translated into English,too.

 From this work I know that searching for beautiful books, making
contact with publishing houses and finally translating is big fun. but
if you have to earn your living, it is a quite bad idea... This may
explain the fact that there are so few translations available.

Greetings

          Petra Duenges