Arabic-L:PEDA:Spoken Arabic in Arabic Script Discussion

Mon Jun 19 18:20:55 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Spoken Arabic in Arabic Script Discussion

Date: 19 Jun 2006
From:Karin Ryding <rydingk at georgetown.edu>
Subject:Spoken Arabic in Arabic Script Discussion

Dear All:
       Thanks for the discussion of materials for teaching spoken
Arabic variants with Arabic script.
       I would like to add my two cents on using Arabic script for
such materials.  It has been my experience that using Arabic script
ultimately strengthens and reinforces students' grasp of the script
in general, and that it avoids the conceptual detour of dealing with
some sort of transcription system.  Using Arabic script is efficient
and can be modified for local pronunciation features.  I have seen
publications in Arabic script in Lebanese Arabic and in Moroccan
Arabic, so there are some regional precedents.          All the best,
Karin Ryding