Arabic-L:LING:ja ‘ala + object + verb structur e

Thu Aug 30 23:30:15 UTC 2007

1) Subject:ja‘ala + object + verb structure

Date: 30 Aug 2007
Subject:ja‘ala + object + verb structure

A new MSA syntactic structure a-birthing??

We may be living witnesses to a new MSA syntactic structure coming
into being, namely:  the 'otiose'

causitive, i.e. a conjugated form of  j-`-l  + direct object pronoun
+ imperfect tense, e.g.

/ja`alat-nii  afhamu/  "she made me understand," instead of  /afhamat-
nii/  or  /fahhamat-nii/;  and

/naj`alu-hum  ya`limuuna/  for "we make them understand"  instead
of  /nu`limu-hum/, etc.

       Although I have come across this construction more and more
[in Al-Majalla], I have not seen it

described in any of the scads of newly published MSA grammars.  Did I
miss something?  Has any

pedant given this phrasing the good old tafkiirii heave-ho?  Abrazos,

                                         Mike Schub