[Athapbasckan-L] "Butterfly" in Athapascan languages

Kienpointner, Manfred Manfred.Kienpointner at uibk.ac.at
Wed Feb 23 14:37:35 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

I am a retired professor of general and applied linguistics (Univ. of Innsbruck, Austria). Among my main research areas are rhetoric and argumentation and contrastive linguistics (Latin-German, Turkish-German).

Besides, I am writing a popular booklet about general names for "butterfly" in 200 languages. With this project, I would like to draw the attention of interested lay people to the endangered status of both these charming creatures and many small indigenous languages.

Of course, I am not competent as far as the vast majority of these 200 languages is concerned. That is why I ask native speakers and experts for help and to have a controlling look at my data, which I collected from dictionaries, grammars, articles, and available internet sources.

If you could help me with butterfly words in four Athapascan languages (I have data from Carrier, Slavey, Navajo and Western Apache), I would send you my little texts (a few lines per language). I also have data from Haida (I am aware of the fact that Haida is considered to be a language isolate by the majority of experts, so Haida is not related to Athapascan languages, but I suppose that some of you might have expert knowledge of Haida, too).

Best regards,

Manfred Kienpointner