[Athapbasckan-L] EXT] Re: 2025 Dene Languages Conference

McDonough, Joyce joyce.mcdonough at rochester.edu
Wed May 15 11:59:33 UTC 2024

Well, I’m with Jim here. What doesn’t linguistics touch on, what is outside linguistics?

The subfield of language documentation and description which is part of linguistics,  includes fields like ethnobiology, folklore, ethnohistory. Then there is work ontoponyms, oral maps and networks of place names (thank you Jim), language acquisition (immensely important for communities). Historical work ( Karen Michelson’s paper at WCSLA in Toronto in April of old word lists she identified).  All linguists need to know about this work. it informs how we think.

Why not linguists collaborating with archaeologists & geneticists (the work out of Alberta on migration, thank you Sally Rice and Jack Ives, Gary Holton, Ed Vadja) and psychology (work on the mental lexicon and language processing), work that is important to linguists and also important to language communities. All of this is linguistics. The field is growing, expanding and breathing, changing.

Our task is of course to grow outward. As linguists publish in these fields, as the work we linguists do becomes important to these fields. To expand, grow ideas, knowledge, it’s  a collaborative process at its very best.

Joyce

--

Joyce McDonough
Richard L. Turner Professor in the College of Arts & Sciences

585 275-2895
585 275-8053 (main office)
http:/ling.rochester.edu/
Zoom ID<https://rochester.zoom.us/j/6920390873>