Childes Porgram

Nazan Gueltekin nazan.gueltekin at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Oct 27 14:32:39 UTC 2008

Hi all,

my name is Nazan Gültekin and I am a postgraduate at the University of Bielefeld/Germany. Within my dissertation I collected quasi-natural speech data from children with migration background (4-6 years old), who have German as their second language. The analysis will be about syntactical, morphological and lexical development. I planned to analyze my data manually.
 Lately I discovered the program Childes, but till now I have trancribed about one third of my data with the Transcription Program Exmaralda  (in total 390 datasets). I have to make a decision, but now I ask myself whats "the best way". There is nobody around to ask, who uses the Childes program, so I want to ask you all about your experience with this program, because I don´t have much time to finish my dissertation. What do you think, how much time do I have to investigate to learn Childes (Chat, Clan) accordingly?
I am looking forward for your answer. Thank you very much.
Nazan