Chinook for Birders

Don Boucher bouchdon at JUNO.COM
Tue Dec 15 06:08:37 UTC 1998

Klahowya Sihks,

Here is a message I received from my bird watching friends. It caught my
attention because of my knowledge of Chinook Jargon. I've included my
reply to the original message.

Don Boucher, Oregon
-----------
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:22:08 -0800 Camille Fullington
<ashspring at JUNO.COM> writes:
>Hi OBOLites - Just a random semi-off-topic note for everyone out
>there
>'pishing' birds ('pishing' is what birders do to get territorial birds
out in the open for spotting): the word for housecat in one of the Puget
Sound
>tribes
>was/is  "pishpish". Now you know what you're REALLY up to.
>
>Camille Fullington,  Dallas
---------------
Hi Camille,

A Chinook Jargon term for cat was also spelled "Pusspuss". Chinook Jargon
was a trade "pidgin" language used by both Natives and European/Americans
during the last two centuries or so. It's a simple language made up of
words with Chinook roots, French, English and other tribal words.  I am
learning Chinook Jargon and here some other items that might be of
interest to birders:

Kalakala - general term for Bird
Kalakalama - goose
Cheechee - any small bird