Chinook browser development (was Fwd: Hawaiian language web browser released (fwd)

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Nov 26 21:11:12 UTC 1998

At 01:58 PM 11/24/98 -0800, Jeffrey Kopp wrote:
>Well, it might be easier, if all you want to do is change prompts.  Using a
>binary editor, locate the message strings and alter them, being careful not
>to change the position or length of anything.  I did that years ago with a
>copy of WordPerfect 4.2; it said some funny and unexpected things!
>
>Yes, it's hacking.

Actually,it _would_ be hacking if Netscape's code weren't public, as it is
now.  "Open source" means just that; the code is freely available for
alteration.  Guess we could just go and create the Chinook version, once we
settle on orthography and terminology......

An aside: the one thing _I'd_ like to see in Netscape bookmarks is on the
"Add Bookmark/File Bookmark/Edit Bookmarks" thing on the top toolbars - an
addition that allows you to "Remove Bookmark"; either the one instance, or
any repetitions; I hate having to open Edit Bookmarks and search for
defunct ones; better to easily delete them when you run across
them......maybe it's in the beta version 5.0, I don't know.