Kehloke

Sun Sep 6 03:20:23 UTC 1998

At 04:32 PM 9/5/98 -0700, Liland Brajant ROS' wrote:
>I just received this e-note.  Could one of the mailing-list folks who's=20
>really up on CJ ornithology respond to <Rex_Delay at pch.gc.ca>?  Kehloke=20
>sure looks like a bird name to me, but I don't recall what kind; swan?=20
>crane? heron? Seems to me I recall a divergence of opinion in the old=20
>glossaries.  -- Leland
>
>>    I bumped into your site while searching for the work Kehloke.  That=
 is
>>    the name of my sailboat but I have never been able to find a =
meaning
>>    for the work or proper pronunciation.  Could you help me out?  =
Thank
>>    you.
>>
>>    Rex Delay

Swan, I think - maybe goose.  Swans were abundant here in the old days,
however (as were geese); there may be a variant meaning depending on
region; I think the word is originally "Chinookan" (i.e. old Chinook, not
the Jargon) and may have been confined to the Lower Columbia/Gray's =
Harbour
region (Tony Johnson would know; hopefully he'll answer as well).

In the meantime, please check out my "Critters and Other Varmints" Jargon
page at http://members.home.net/skookum/critters.html  I haven't updated =
it
in a while, but there's a full list of the different animal words plus =
some
comments lifted from the various sources.....

Mike Cleven
Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com
http://members.home.net/ironmtn/