Chinook y Catalano

Tue Sep 8 02:45:34 UTC 1998

At 11:36 PM 9/7/98 +0200, jlainez at dtect.com wrote:
>Hi, friends,
>        My name is Josep Carles La=3DEDnez and I am from Valencia, in =
Europe
>(Spain, exactly). I am attached to the minority languages in my country =
(I
>speak Catalan (10.000.000 speakers) and Aragonese (40.000 speakers) as
>mother languages and I wanted to get in touch with people related to
>chinook. I would like to know from where can I purchase books in/on=3D
 Chinook,
>if there are publications in this language and what is the work that you
>dou, because I think is not similar to that we carry up in Europe.
>        I wait for you responses.
>        Yours sincerely
>
>        Josep Carles Lainez
>        jlainez at dtect.com

Buenas!  Pe klahowya, nawikta!

I speak a bit of Spanish and am able to read Catalan and Portuguese, and
have been known to lurk in soc.culture.occitan.......

Current publications in Chinook are, alas, few and far between, other =
than
Terry Glavin's new book "A Voice Great Within" (Transmontanus Press,
Vancouver, 1998), which can probably be ordered from Spain.  As for older
publications, there are numerous sources such as used booksellers who =
will
be able to provide copies on order; in the meantime I suspect that other
members of this listserve are quite likely able to provide photocopy
versions of out-of-print materials (which are the main sources).  I know
one of our members is currently working on a new comprehensive lexicon =
and
instructional manual, and another is working on a downloadable or CD
computer tutorial.

The aim of our ad hoc group is to further the use and awareness and
appreciation of the Jargon, and to try and organize resources and =
materials
for educational and personal enjoyment purposes......I'd say that a =
common
love of the Jargon and its heritage is what our common "work" is......

It may sound odd, but might I suggest that you consider helping develop
Spanish-Chinook and Catalan-Chinook lexicon resources, perhaps through =
the
medium of the World Wide Web as we are doing.  There are few, if any,
Spanish loanwords in the Jargon (despite the Spanish history of the =
region
and a fair number of Mexican packers in frontier times), but there is
considerable interest in First Nations/Native American affairs in Latin
America that would no doubt find such a resource rather =
interesting.......

Hope to hear more from you.  Muchas gracias.....hasta su proxima=3D
 breva........

Mike Cleven
http://members.home.net/skookum/ (The Chinook Jargon Electronic =
Information