No subject

Tue Sep 22 06:12:03 UTC 1998

<ironmtn at bigfoot.com>)
Subject: RE: The use of House

Mike,
lab is the Makah word for rum or lum in Chinook Jargon.  Some of the
borrowings have undergone a m to b shift over time.  For instance moos =
moos
is boos boos in Makah, etc. Labowas is rum house.  Also, every in NB one
says Opooch for bottom, I think Nisquallis say Opich.   I notice Gills =
has
Opooch as an option pronunciation for opoots.  In Makah the work for =
don't
is wee!k , notice the k is glottalized.  Gills has wik, wake as options, =
and
may be single syllables rather than two.  No one has paid attention to
whether the k is glottalized.  Also is some Chinook songs leaned in NB =
the
word kwas is !kwas  (i.e. the k is glottalized).  In Makah the word Hum =
is
the polite or feminine word for shub.   ees (pronounced like peace) is =
the
polite word for Chugh-shilt or urinate.  ees is used when women go.  Is =
ees
a Chinook Jargon word or similar to anything you have heard.  Youtl as in
chakoo yootl or become proud, is spelled as kl in most books, but I =
believe
it was actually  pronounced as a tl.  In a song the yootl is pronounced
softly for aesthetics.  But one old timer pronounced yootl as yoo!tl-lth.
The tl was glottalized when speaking and he added a lth or lateral L to =
the
end.  Don't know what that means. =20
Wagon in CJ is tsiktsik, or chik chik in Makah it is !tseek !tseek (i.e. =
the
ts is glottalized) and is definitely from CJ.  Is this an original
pronounciation that is preserved because NB is isolated.  The name refers=
the noise wagon wheels make as they turn. They Squeek Squeek as they turn
around. Motor boats are put put but I do not know the exact way to =
pronounce
it and it has been a long time.  This also may be of modern Chinook =
origin
or just the way Makah named things--by some outstanding characteristic.
This may give us some ways to create new Chinook words for new objects by
understanding how or why the original words were made.
  I believe Makah could have really influenced Chinook especially because
most north-south and east-west travel and trade had to pass through Makah
territory.  Around the 'great breast' (i.e. the tip of the Olympic
Penninsula) the very tip of which was called Tatoosh.  Now Tatoosh =
Island.
In Chinook this is totoosh.  This name was even established by the time =
the
Spanish had traveled through and drew pictures of the Chief Tatoosh.  =
Some
elders say the origin of the name for tatoosh was lthoo-lthootch which is
Makah for thunderbird.  But 'breast' sounds reasonable especially
considering the topography.
Well Friend.  Alta Nika klatawa kopa mukowas kehwa hyas olo.=20
Scott Tyler             =20

 Makah