Wik Ya?im, keschi hiyu nah.

Nadja Adolf nadolf at NAVITEL.COM
Fri Aug 27 19:02:21 UTC 1999

Na iktah elip Lush wawa - "Kata mayka wawa ____ kapa Chinuk" kapa "Kata wawa
mayka kapa Chinuk"?

What is the best talk - How you say ____ in Chinook" or "How say you in
Chinook"?

Keschi, Nah nayka wegt.

But, I question again.

Na iktah elip Lush wawa - "Yaka man yaka papa munk kahkwa" kapa "Yaka man
yaka papa kahkwa munk."

What is the best talk "his father did the same" or his "father same did"?

Also, in my question "Nah iktah elip wawa" Is iktah the right word to use?
Should I use "klaska" instead, or something else? My temptation was to use
klaska, but I wasn't sure. Should there be a "yaka" in the first sentence?
Is the "kapa" needed or is it surplus?

Is my email subject invalid? May one use na to mean a question as a noun, or
just as an interrogative indicating a question?

Can someone recommend a grammar book or linguistics book so that a
non-linguist can understand some of the terms that people use here?