small note on Michif & Leonard Peltier

Nadja Adolf nadolf at SPYGLASS.COM
Tue Dec 7 19:50:19 UTC 1999

My friend Mary is metis, speaks "French", claims people
from France insist she's speaking Haitian, and sees her
ancestry as being distinct from the surrounding Ojibwa
and the French whites.

Her definition of what a "Metis" is, in UP Michigan, is
that "Chippewa speak Chippewa, and are Catholic",
but "Metis speak French and are Protestant."

I don't know how accurate an anthropologist would consider
this, but Mary and her Mom and relations have been saying this
to me for years.