Archie Binns

Pass/Kishkan/High Ground Press high_ground at SUNSHINE.NET
Sun Jul 25 02:35:22 UTC 1999

My friend Charles Lillard was a great admirer of the novels of Archie Binns.
I read one years ago, Sea Pup, and thought it was nicely evocative of the
Pacific Northwest. I found a copy of Mighty Mountain on my son's
book-shelves and have been enjoying it thoroughly, not just for the writing,
which is crisp and energetic, but for its sense of place, Puget Sound, and
its time, the 1850s. The main characters are all familiar with the jargon
and use it convincingly. I think the historical detail is quite accurate, if
sad -- I'm at the point where the Treaties are being signed with the
Nisquallys and Puyallups. Does anyone else know Binns' work?

Theresa Kishkan