"Tsolo (A Novel)"

Sun Jul 25 22:01:05 UTC 1999

...by Mary Lake, published by the Hobson Book Press, New York, New York,
1946.  I couldn't resist buying this romantic, not very good book at the
used-book store today.  On page 19:

"Then they packed their cayuses and departed to the hills where they
gathered gallons and gallons of huckleberries...

"As they traveled along two or three miles down the mountain they passed a
log house...Gertrude, the eldest, ran into the house exclaiming, 'Mother,
I saw a prospector and a handsome dark man riding along behind the Indians
to the Huckleberry Mountains...the handsome man said, "Klautawa."  I guess
he must have thought me an Indian.'

"'Oh no!  I think not,' the mother answered.  'But he is the new
prospector I heard of the other day.  He has probably learned that much of
the Indian language and is proud of it.  It means either how do you do or
goodbye.'"

...There are other bits of Chinook Jargon in the book, most of them more
somewhat more accurate than this one!

Klahowya,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html