Chinook Tribe decries article chosen for Lewis and Clark bicentennial brochure

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Tue Jul 27 05:24:11 UTC 1999

Here is the link to the story, which has now scrolled off the
Oregon Live's News Flash Regional Full Story page.  It's
a very long URL, so if your mail reader breaks the line, you'll
have to assemble it back into one piece.  The apparent
spaces are actually underscores.

http://flash.oregonlive.com/cgi-bin/or_nview.pl?/home1/wire/AP/Stream-Parsed/OREGON_NEWS/o1146_AM_WA--IndianObjections

In the wire story, the Chinook tribe is said to object to a
description of the facial characteristics of the Chinooks,
their expectation of aid to follow an 1851 treaty which
failed ratification, and treatment of women in the tribe in
the early 19th century.  The article, proposed for a tourist
pamphlet by the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Association, is
characterized by the tribe as "offensive and inhospitable."
The quotes offered in the wire story do seem indelicate,
though the tribe's charge of "racism"  is denied by the
author, a community college instructor who relied on the
1976 book, "The Chinook Indians: Traders of the Lower Columbia
River."  The article is reported as having been previously
prepared several years ago for a series on ecotourism.

A compromise rephrasing of the passages in question by the
pamphlet's author or the L&C Bicentennial Association will
probably be made, which should satisfy the concerns raised.

According to Chinook tribal administrator Peggy Disney, as
quoted in the wire story, the Nez Perce tribe has participated
in the bicentennial planning, hoping to portray the Native
American perspective on the expedition.  In contrast, the
Chinooks seem to have to have a greater apprehension about
the celebration, regarding the expedition as marking the
"beginning of the end" of their way of life following white
immigration to the West.

I think native participation in pioneer historical projects
could be advantageous to the native population as well as
beneficial to public knowledge and awareness.  Events such
as the Lewis & Clark bicentennial represent a good opportunity
to present native history and culture to a new, wide and
interested audience.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kopp