This week's quiz, courtesy of an English dictionary!

Fri Jun 18 04:50:29 UTC 1999

Lush-pulakli, kanawi-Laksta!

We're lucky enough to have a big beautiful English-language dictionary
where I work, and when business is slow, I love to look through it.  It's
"Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language"
(New York:  Gramercy, 1996.)

Although it defines "chinook wind" as one that blows "down the eastern
slopes of the Rocky Mountains" :-( this is a wonderful dictionary.  It
even includes the following, and this week's quiz asks you to identify
these 3 Chinook Jargon words by the etymologies Webster's supplies:

1)  "...prob. < Clatsop ... u-tLalxwE'(n), said to mean 'brook trout'"
	(tL is the "barred lambda" sound; E is schwa; ' is stress)

2)  "...Nootka ma:Ho:ma(q) part of whale meat between blubber and flesh"
	(: is vowel length; H is pharyngeal 'h')

3)  "...< Lower Chehalis (Salishan language of the Washington coast)
skwEkwE'm ghost, spirit, monster (hence, appar. 'fearsome' > 'powerful' in
Chinook Jargon)"

Laksta kEmtEks?
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html