uk ilEp chInUk lu7lu yaka CD

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Jun 20 22:07:16 UTC 1999

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:05:50 -0700, you wrote:

>Lush san, shiXs,
>
>The CD from our first Chinook Gathering has arrived!

Ssshhhh!  Due to the diverse sources of the material on the CD,
obtaining copyright clearance for the disk would have been almost
impossibly complicated, so we produced a very limited run for the
conference participants only, and many others who would like to have
the recording will be disappointed.  Perhaps in the future we can
cobble together a version which can be more widely distributed.

>You have to have attended that gathering in order to receive a copy, and
>it's for the use of that group only.  But I want to go on public record
>saying that this is a fantastic tool!  Jim Holton, Jeff Kopp, Tony
>Johnson, and everyone who helped on the project should feel very proud.

Thanks very much.  I enjoyed working on it.  It took us longer than I
expected to assemble the CD (everyone's patience is greatly
appreciated), but I did learn a lot of new stuff about digital audio
while doing this.  I was originally going to just edit the thing with
scissors or the pause control until I realized it would go much more
smoothly on the computer--although it took a while to grasp the
technique.

>These are the first and only recordings of Chinook Jargon ever made
>available outside of Indian groups and academia, I think.

Well, this recording isn't going too far outside of those circles.

>I found the CD to be a XEpay'-lakaseht (cedar chest) full of knowledge.
>Simply hearing the recordings of Indian pronunciation of CJ is a wonderful
>learning experience.
>
>The songs are excellent, too.
>
>If you all would like, I can probably find time to transcribe the older,
>lower-quality recordings so that you can read along with them and consult
>a dictionary for help.

I am certain everyone would enjoy having a translation, or even
working collaboratively on it via email.  I do expect Tony is busy
translating the historic Jargon recordings (1957-1972), and I am
looking forward to seeing what develops.

I can follow the gist of the recordings myself but am embarrassed
when a listener asks me what they're saying, all I can say is that
"it's sort of about (whatever)," and pick out a few words I know.

>Here's hoping for another CD of materials to emerge from this year's
>conference!
>
>(I can't keep a secret:  I'm hoping for storytelling, songs,
>and poems at this summer's gathering.  It would be very nice to be able to
>share that kind of stuff via a CD.  --Or a CD-ROM, even?)

Well, I am planning on recording the Workshop again (by audio, video
would be too difficult and intrusive).  It's easiest to just record
the whole thing wall-to-wall but it does take a long time to review,
select and edit portions from the total transcript.  The last
workshop produced about 15 hours of tape.

>mEsayka munk dreht Lush, tIlIxam!  /  Good job, guys!
>
>Dave

Our pleasure, mine to be sure!

Regards,

Jeff