ukuk chandi ya "kwIz" (fwd)

Thu Sep 9 06:03:48 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:34:09 -0500
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
To: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject: Re: ukuk chandi ya "kwIz"

Not fair for me to answer, having spent a lot of time at Warm Springs.

'bushtn' must have come up river (probably as part of CJ) from the mouth of
the Columbia, where Robert Gray's ship had set out from Boston.  Stressed
[a] sound is often pronounced with the vowel of English 'but' in Wasco.
's' and 'sh' can alternate with 'sh' being augmentative (larger), 's'
diminutive.

Pelton Dam is on the Deschutes River at the eastern side of Warm Springs
Reservation

Tenino is a term for the Sahaptin speakers at Warm Springs.  There is a
Tenino river.

		All best,
				Dell