Chinook phrase in song

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Sat Apr 1 15:53:38 UTC 2000

LaXayEm, Ukuk nayka makwst pEnni:

> > >"Kloshe waw-waw delate mika chako" **[repeat line - translated]
> "Promise me you'll really come."

I'd probably go with the imperative here because I've usually seen ""promise"
or "truth" translated as "delate wawa."  So my take on the above would be
something like "Say that you'll come right away" as I'd translate "delate"
here as "straight away" or "without delay."  This kind of goes along with the
last line "Delate nika chako tomalla";"I'll come right away tomorrow."  Of
course, the larger context might dictate that if you say someting it's as
good as a promise.  I'd really be interested in hearing this song too.
Depending how the song is sung, the song could be going in a couple of
directions.  Is this song a little melody, religious, happy, sad, etc.?

I've also noticed that "wawa" is spelt "waw-waw" which is the same way that
this word is spelt on Barbara Harris' mystery bottles and a few dictionaries,
but not that common.

Ukuk nayka tEmtEm, LaXayEm, Jim