Another problem French etymology in CJ: <lepot> "pot"

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 3 08:20:53 UTC 2000

>From: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>

>LhaXayEm,
>
>Khapa lipret Le Jeune yaka bUk "Chinook Rudiments", tIpsu 15, yaka munk
>c'Em khakwa:
>
>	[Hudson Bay french words introduced into the early Chinook
>	hardly ever used now.]
>	le pot		<lpot>*		pot
>
>*(Khapa ayaq-c'Em ukuk.)
>
>Alta, wik ukuk Pasayuks tunus-wawa khakwa:  [lEpo]?
>
>Qhata yaka chaku kw'Elan khakwa [lEpot]?
>
>Dret khakwa uk Pasayuks Wawa "k'aw-wawa" ukuk, wikna?
>
>WEXt Npoqinishcn Wawa ya munk ukuk khakwa:  /l'pot/ pus "cup".
>
>Ikta ukuk?
>
>BastEn sItkEm:  Father LJ's book has a form that appears to be [lEpot] for
>"pot", <lpot> in his shorthand.  Now, isn't the French word like this:
>[lEpo]?  How did it come to be heard as [lEpot]?  This is just like the
>French language's "liaison" phenomenon, isn't it?  The Spokane Salishan
>language, too, says this as /l'pot/, meaning "cup".  What's up here?

I'm not sure about this, but I think "le pot" is something like "laboat" and
other franglais-isms in the Jargon; I don't know if there's a French word,
although certainly it's a root, as in "pottage"; I think this is a Metis/HBC
manglism.....

MC