Fwd: [NativeNews] Indian Children Find Forum to Perform in Their Native Language

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Apr 9 18:46:14 UTC 2000

> [...]
>Native American children in speaking and performing in their native
>languages.
>      The language fair grew from just six contestants last year to about 150
>this year from pueblos and reservations across New Mexico, said Santa Fe
>actor Wes Studi, a Cherokee who has appeared in many movies including "Last
>of the Mohicans." Studi, who was honored last year by the institute for his
>work in language preservation, served as master of ceremonies Saturday.
>      "It's becoming a popular event," Studi said. "Language doesn't have to
>be something serious. It can be fun to do."
>      Each contestant, ranging in age from 8 to 19, received a medal and a
>gift, with additional awards in three age categories.
>      Autumn Gomez, 13, and her 9-year-old brother, Matthew, gave a puppet
>show with 8-year-old Julian Wahnee. The trio, who take Comanche language
>lessons in Santa Fe, sang the alphabet and some numbers in Comanche before
>offering a Comanche rendition of "Old McDonald Had a Farm."
>      "We are all going to speak Comanche again," Autumn told the audience
>after the puppet show. "From now on, we're going to speak Comanche forever."
>      Autumn said she became interested in learning the language from her
>grandmother, who speaks Comanche fluently.
>      The youths participating in the fair had to work with teachers, parents
>or other relatives to create their presentations in about 20 Native American
>languages, so the fair is a "wonderful community-building activity,"
>Slaughter said.
>      The Institute for the Preservation of the Original Languages of the
>Americas hopes to expand and hold more Native American language fairs in
>other parts of the country, Slaughter said.
>      Out of 300-plus original Native American languages, only 175 still
>exist.
>      During an intermission Saturday afternoon, Blue Star Singers, a group of
>five teen-age girls from Santa Fe, sat around a large drum, beating a rhythm
>while they sang, their voices rising in unison.
>      The language fair, which was followed by an intertribal powwow with
>gourd dancing, is meant to instill pride in Native American children in
>using their native language, Slaughter said
>

>Reprinted under the Fair Use
><http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html>http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html
>doctrine of international copyright law.
>                   <><<<<<>>>>><><<<<>
>            Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
>
><http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/>http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/
>                   <><<<<<>>>>><><<<<>
>
>Native News:
><http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/natnews.htm>http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/natnews.htm
>Archived online at:
><http://www.mail-archive.com/natnews%40onelist.com/>http://www.mail-archive.com/natnews%40onelist.com/
>

>----------

 ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
               David Gene Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Home 541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
Fax 541.346.0668

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community, Oregon