Oolichans & other stinky stuff; Spratt's Ark (was Re: Iskit/Secret Island

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 23 22:35:53 UTC 2000

>From: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>

>LhaXayEm!
>
>Lhush chandi-ubut.  Good week-end.
>
>First:  Mike, many thanks for tagging the subject as it shifted, with that
>"(was...)" marker.  That'll be very helpful to those who will search our
>archives in the future.

It's a standard subject-header device in UseNet; useful in general, and wish
it would be used more often in UseNet, if not here; when the subject
changes, it's worth noting but also referring to where the tangent branched
off of.....

>Second:  Spratt's Ark.  Could it have been processing "sprats"?

Don't think so, but I'll check when I get home.  I _thought_ "Spratt" was
the name of the oilery barge's owner; but maybe not.  On the other hand,
maybe "Jack Spratt" was the same guy.....the Empire being the Empire and all
that. Y'never know; this guy could've bought a house in Mayfair and a few
estates in Devon off all that imperial fish oil....

>Third:  "Feesh oil".  In her strong Washington State accent, a boss of
>mine years ago at a fish restaurant in Seattle would go on long
>soliloquies about "feesh oil" being hell on metal, including on blades
>used for filleting.  HEmmm.

An interesting subject in and of itself.  Worth passing off to a
metallurgical engineer, if I could think of one who would know (who's old
enough to know, that is).  Terry?

MC