sentences of the chinook language

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at QWEST.NET
Mon Dec 11 08:26:17 UTC 2000

>To: <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
>From: "5johnson" <5johnson at i1.net>
>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:00:50 -0500
>
>I have to do to a project on the Northwest coast Indians and I need some sentences of the chinook language.

Hello.  Your message was forwarded to several of us who share an
interest in the Chinook Jargon.  I am glad to help you, but can't
help pointing out you'll be more likely to receive replies to email
inquiries if you introduce yourself.

On the web site, http://www.geocities.com/tenaswawa you will find
substantial examples of dialog and text in the Chinook Jargon,
particularly in the fictional saga of "Moola John" (see table of
contents http://www.geocities.com/tenaswawa/twtoc.htm).  In the
story, paragraphs of English and Jargon are presented side-by-side.

The "Talk Boxes" are little examples of Jargon construction and
usage.  You will also find on the site a collection of Jargon
dictionaries; most helpful will probably be Gibbs' and Shaw's.

Best of luck with your project.  I would be interested to know of the
outcome of your class' project.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kopp