Chinook Wawa site kopa shorthand

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Dec 15 02:29:07 UTC 2000

Jeffrey Kopp wrote:

> If you tried to view Lee's new shorthand Web pages last week and
> couldn't see the images, give it another try now.
>
> http://ca.geocities.com/leefalconer/index.htm

Way cool.  Thanks for the reminder, Jeff.  I note that Lee includes
modern borrow-words ("link", "list" eg) in shorthand form, and seems to
have established a graphic style for the word-glyphs that looks more
like type a la Cree/Inuktitut than handscript.  BTW Lee if you're only
in White Rock I'm just up in New West; we should chako konamoxt kopa
kaupy pe mamook hiyu wawa.  Ticky Starbuck's?  Hiyu time naika tumtum
kopa tenas Klismass Potlatch kopa Chinook tillikums kopa stowbelow
illahee; maika ticky chako?

I had a funny experience re the Duployan yesterday; I was killing time
before a physio appointment in North Van so took the Dollarton Highway
exit off Second Narrows and toodled off around that way to Deep Cove and
Back.  Just on the first bit after Maplewood, there's a straightaway
that looks vaguely rural-industrial; lands of the Squamish Nation (or
Tsleil-waututh, I'm not sure where the boundary is); one the left
there's what looks like a really good seafood diner, built in what must
have been a corrugated-iron truck garage at some point, and on the right
a couple of 1920s houses, beautifully kept, backed by the woods that
line that side of the road.  One of these places is a native craft shop,
and has a shingle outside saying so.  I'd driven by countless times
before over the years but this time I noticed another sign dangling next
to the main one.  Damned if it didn't look like Duployan, down to each
stroke being a potential Wawa phoneme (I'll scan it and post it later
when I dig it out of my wallet).  It just happens that whoever wrote
this sign up for the guy used a style of _Katagana_ that comes up
looking rather like something out of the Kamloops Wawa script.  Just for
fun I'll transcribe it phonetically to see how it might come out if
pronounced a la Kamloops, but apparently the sign is just Japanese for
"welcome", or something to that effect.  There's lots of Japanese
writing all over Greater Vancouver, and not just because of the scores
of sushi restaurants, but I've never made this mistake before......

MC